Saturday, July 18, 2009

Car Seat Cover/Canopy (NOT a TENT!)

My good friend Beth called me the other day and said:

"You know what you should do for a tutorial?"
"A car seat canopy. But please, call it a canopy, NOT a tent!"

So here is my quick and easy version of "The Car Seat CANOPY".

I was impressed by how easily this made up. The top fabric on mine is a sheet from IKEA. I am in love with Ikea's textiles...I always feel like I've died and gone to heaven when I'm in the fabric or textile part of Ikea (and also the meatball part of Ikea).

The bottom is just a simple white satin sheet from Wally-mart. I kind of wish I had done something other than white for contrast...oh well...you can learn from my mistakes and do something extra cute on yours.

So here's what you'll need:

1 yard of top fabric
1 yard of contrasting fabric for underside
1-2 yards of grosgrain ribbon (you can use fabric for this part...if you want to tie yours in bows, you'll need 2 yards...for just a regular tie, 1 yard. Also, I've seen these with buttons on the top instead of ribbon...cute but time consuming...and I don't have time for button holes at this point in my life...if you do, more power to 'ya.)
fire (from a match or a lighter or a piece of spaghetti)
thread
scissors
iron

One yard is the perfect size for your cover...unless your car seat is smaller than Norah's? Anyway, a yard seemed to be the perfect size and that's what the measurements in this tute are all based on.

Let's get started, shall we? (Remember, you need to click on the pictures to read the instructions...this is more for my Mom than for anyone else...Hi Mom!):








Let me know if I totally confused you. If you make one...will ya tell me? I'd love to see a picture!